Sunday 13 October 2013

an update.




So many things have happened in the last couple of weeks - in fact, it has not even been two weeks yet. I have been very busy, which is lovely. I went and saw San Cisco play at The Haunt the other night, with a lovely girl from Western Australia who is staying at the hostel. I went to a gay bar for the first time. Hung out at a place called Cranks which is a volunteer run, DIY bicycle repair place. Got lost a few times. I have been applying for jobs, and have a trial next week at a little cafe. I am currently in the process of moving into an awesome share house with the most fantastic, welcoming and beautiful group of people.  I feel like I have been here, living in Brighton, for months. I have friends who I feel like I've known for ages, both at the hostel I've been living in, and in the house I'm about to move into. I feel so blessed to have met these people. 

I'm so happy to be moving into this house! Yesterday we sat together, on the floor, eating home made pancakes for breakfast, and organised everything. It is so wonderful to be surrounded by people with the same ideas and views as me. We're getting a compost bin, we would like to sit down and have a meal together at least once a week, we want to use environmentally friendly cleaning products, we want to use less power, support local farmers, bulk buy vegie boxes... Things that I have been brought up doing. It is so nice to be around people who understand that this is the norm, and it isn't as hard as you think. In fact, it isn't really that hard at all. 

We spent the day charity shopping and searching the local street markets for cutlery and mugs and various other house related things. These guys are serious bargain hunters. I've got a lot to learn. It is a bit difficult not having a car.. it makes it hard to transport things. Yesterday we had to get a taxi to move a desk, clothes rack, garbage bin, book shelf and a basket full of my clothes and a toaster back to the house... But the house is close so at least the cost isn't too much of an issue.. I'm looking forward to decorating my room - I have acquired a collection of postcards from around the world on my travels. A bit of blue tack and we're sorted. I'm still trying to find a mattress, a duvet, blankets, pillows...etc. But I am still in the hostel for a few days so I'm not sleeping on the floor just yet... 

It is all very exciting. And funny. There has been lots of laughter along the way. Funny things have happened, embarrassing things have happened. And it has been really nice to share these moments, and laugh together. From having stacks on bikes, to being rejected when offering to share my umbrella with someone, to being almost attacked by a dog in a busy cafe. 

Without sounding lame or fake or like I am bragging, I really am feeling so lucky every day. I am lucky to have met the guys in the park. I'm lucky they asked me to move in with them. I'm lucky to have been introduced to their friends. I'm lucky to have met the people at hostel and formed such close relationships with them so quickly. I'm lucky to be able to talk with my family even though they're so far away. And, I am so bloody lucky to be alive and living in this world.


San Cisco

No comments:

Post a Comment